Thursday, April 16, 2009

Why do we attend the church we do?

I hope it is for the right reasons where the word of God is being preached and taught and His love is shown and felt and not a church that just makes you feel good and tickles your ears.

I am writing this because God has been doing a stirring in my spirit that I just can't get away from. I have been in a dry place or you might say I have been having a desert experience as my pastor and friend would say, not for years or months, but for several weeks now. The Holy Spirit has been prompting me to reach out to others that might be going through the same thing. As an ex- biker and a lifelong trucker, I like to travel the road less traveled most of the time; you get a chance to see things you can't see from the interstate. There are many kinds of roads, old two or four lane highways, some with long sweeping turns, some with twists and curves as well as those that are flat and straight. The thing is you have the choice to take the road that fits your style of living, driving or riding.

As a Christian, God allows us to choose the road we want to take in our lives. We think we know the right road but the road we choose may not be the one God wants for us. That is why it is important to stay in God's word and always be in prayer. God has a road he wants us to travel, my road may not be yours, and yours may not be mine. But one thing is for sure the road God wants you and me to take leads to the same place. God may put us on the interstate so we can get to a certain place quickly but I don't think he wants us to stay on the interstate all the time. You know how it is on the interstate, everything is moving so fast, every car, truck and motorcycle are going by so fast you don't have time to fix your eyes or have a thought on any of them. They are all souls just flying by. Are they saved? Lost or hurting? We may never get the chance to know passing them by so quickly, but I do know on the back roads we can stop and take every opportunity to be a witness or point some other weary traveler to the Way, Christ Jesus.

When you on the road in your car, truck, motorcycle or just walking through the desert make sure you always have your light on, not just the headlights on but the light Jesus has placed in your soul. That way if you are out on the road alone you aren't really alone because Jesus is always with you. We must always let our light shine in this darkened world. So shine on my brothers as Jesus say’s in Mat 5:16 in the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven. Amen?

In Christ,
Sandy Perry

No comments: